Boards Academy

Preoperative cardiac evaluation for non-cardiac surgery

T1Cardiovascular and cardiac anesthesia·1122 words · ~6 min read·v0.1✓ Sourced · 2DRAFT

Why examiners ask this

Nearly every long stem opens with a patient who has a cardiac history and a surgery that cannot wait forever. The examiner wants to know whether I order a test because it changes management or because it feels safer. This topic stresses judgment and organization: the ACC/AHA stepwise approach is the frame, but the points come from explaining why a stress test helps one patient and harms another by delaying a cancer resection.

The 60-second answer

I start with the urgency of the surgery, then the patient's acute cardiac conditions, then the combined risk of the procedure and the patient. An emergency goes to the operating room with optimization in parallel. An acute coronary syndrome, decompensated heart failure, a significant arrhythmia or severe valvular disease is treated before elective surgery. For everyone else I estimate risk with a validated tool such as the RCRI or the NSQIP calculator; a patient below 1% risk of a major adverse cardiac event proceeds without testing.1,2 Above that I ask about functional capacity: four METs or more, climbing two flights of stairs, means I proceed.2 If capacity is poor or unknown and the result of a pharmacologic stress test would change the operation, the timing or my monitoring, I order it;1 otherwise I proceed with invasive monitoring and continue the beta-blocker and statin the patient already takes.2

Decision points and the "why"

  • Urgency first — a ruptured viscus or a threatened limb has no time for a workup; I state that I would optimize what I can in the time available and plan for an arterial line and postoperative troponins rather than cancel.
  • Active cardiac conditions stop the elective case — unstable angina, an acute coronary syndrome or MI within 60 days,2 decompensated heart failure, high-grade block or symptomatic ventricular arrhythmia, and severe symptomatic aortic stenosis each carry a perioperative mortality that no monitoring offsets; the patient sees cardiology.
  • Risk index before testing — the RCRI counts high-risk surgery, ischemic heart disease, heart failure, cerebrovascular disease, insulin-treated diabetes and creatinine above 2.0 mg/dL; two or more factors places the patient above the 1% threshold and justifies the next question. The 2024 guideline no longer names a single calculator; it asks only that a validated one sorts the patient into low (<1%) or elevated (≥1%) risk.2
  • Functional capacity is the pivot — a patient who climbs stairs without symptoms has already passed a stress test; I use the Duke Activity Status Index when the history is vague; a score above 34 marks low risk, and 4 METs remains the algorithm's cutoff for poor capacity.2
  • Test only if it changes management — routine stress testing is not recommended for low-risk patients, good functional capacity or low-risk surgery;1 revascularization before surgery is done only when indicated independent of the operation,2 so a positive test mostly changes my monitoring and the surgical conversation.
  • Biomarkers — in elevated-risk patients the ACC/AHA guideline prefers BNP or NT-proBNP (the ESC prefers troponin); a normal value (BNP <92 ng/L or NT-proBNP <300 ng/L by Canadian cutoffs) means low risk and no further testing,2 while an elevated value tells me to monitor troponins afterward and to expect trouble.
  • Echocardiogram for a reason — new or worsening dyspnea, or known or suspected moderate-to-severe valve disease; a routine echo to assess ventricular function in a stable, asymptomatic patient is not indicated, and one within the past year need not be repeated.2

The complication they will inject

The examiner gives me a 72-year-old scheduled for a colectomy for cancer, RCRI of 3, who cannot walk a block because of a knee. I say the surgery is time-sensitive, a category the 2024 guideline now extends to delays of up to 3 months,2 not elective, so a delay must earn its keep. I order a pharmacologic stress test only if the surgeon agrees to wait and the result would alter the plan. If the test shows a large reversible defect, cardiology catheterizes; a left main or three-vessel lesion with an independent indication means revascularization, and if that is a drug-eluting stent, time-sensitive surgery waits at least 3 months on dual antiplatelet therapy, which is why surgical revascularization or a staged plan is discussed with the heart team.2 A small defect means I proceed with an arterial line, tight heart rate control, hemoglobin above 8 g/dL, and daily troponins for 48 hours. The alternative inject: the surgeon says the cancer cannot wait two weeks. Then I proceed, document the shared decision, and treat the case as high risk from induction to the postoperative ward.

Pitfalls that cost points

  • Reciting the algorithm without applying it to the patient in the stem.
  • Ordering a stress test and then being unable to say what a positive result would change.
  • Calling a 30-day-old MI an "old MI"; elective surgery waits 60 days.2
  • Starting a beta-blocker the night before surgery; the POISE trial showed more strokes and deaths.
  • Forgetting that a cancer resection is time-sensitive and that a six-week delay has its own mortality.

Rapid-why

Q: Why four METs? A: Below that level the history cannot exclude ischemia, and the perioperative event rate roughly doubles; above it the heart has demonstrated reserve.

Q: Why not revascularize everyone with a positive test? A: The CARP trial showed no survival benefit from prophylactic revascularization before vascular surgery; the stent then adds dual antiplatelet therapy and a delay.

Q: Which patients get a 12-lead ECG? A: Anyone with known coronary disease, arrhythmia, peripheral vascular disease, cerebrovascular disease or structural heart disease having anything beyond a low-risk procedure; it provides a baseline, not a screen.

Q: When do you continue versus hold a long-standing beta-blocker? A: I always continue it; abrupt withdrawal causes rebound tachycardia and ischemia.2 I hold ACE inhibitors and ARBs given for controlled hypertension for 24 hours to limit induction hypotension, but continue them in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction.2

Numbers to know

Item Value
Low-risk threshold MACE <1% (RCRI 0–1)2
RCRI factors 6: high-risk surgery, CAD, CHF, CVA/TIA, insulin, Cr >2.0 mg/dL
Adequate functional capacity ≥4 METs or DASI >342
Delay after MI, no intervention 60 days before elective surgery2
Beta-blocker start ≥8 days before surgery if newly indicated, never on the day of surgery2
SGLT2 inhibitors Stop 3–4 days before surgery1
Postoperative troponin surveillance Consider in high-risk patients (e.g., at 24 and 48 h)

Sources

  1. 1.2024 AHA/ACC Perioperative CV Management Guideline: Key Points · American College of Cardiology, 2024 · acc.orgConfirms the 2024 guideline supersedes 2014; stress testing Class 3 for low risk, Class 2b for poor/unknown capacity with elevated risk.
  2. 2.2024 ACC/AHA guideline on perioperative cardiovascular management before noncardiac surgery: What's new? · Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, 2025 · ccjm.orgCohn SL, CCJM 92(4), April 2025; primary guideline text (ahajournals/jacc) was not reachable from the fetcher.

Facts on this page were checked against these sources on Oct 14, 2026. Guidelines change; confirm doses against current institutional protocols.

Related topics

Recent MI, coronary stents and antiplatelet therapyPerioperative myocardial ischemia and infarctionAortic stenosisHeart failure and reduced ejection fraction (coming)Pacemakers and ICDs in the operating room (coming)Perioperative hypertension
Found an error or a better way your examiners phrased this? Send feedback on this page.