Boards Academy

Recent MI, coronary stents and antiplatelet therapy

T1Cardiovascular and cardiac anesthesia·1034 words · ~6 min read·v0.1✓ Sourced · 3DRAFT

Why examiners ask this

The stented patient is a pure trade-off: stop the antiplatelet drugs and the stent thromboses, continue them and the surgeon bleeds. The examiner wants to hear me weigh stent type, time since placement, surgical bleeding risk, and the indication for the stent, then commit to a plan I can defend to a cardiologist and a surgeon in the same conversation. It tests judgment and adaptability, and it is a favorite because the "right" delay has changed over the past decade.

The 60-second answer

I identify the stent type, the date it was placed, whether it was placed for an acute coronary syndrome, and the bleeding risk of the operation. Elective surgery waits at least 30 days after a bare-metal stent, 6 months after a drug-eluting stent placed for stable disease, and 12 months after one placed for an acute coronary syndrome; after an MI without a stent I wait 60 days.1 If surgery cannot wait, I continue aspirin throughout,1 and I stop the P2Y12 inhibitor for the shortest interval the surgeon accepts, 5 days for clopidogrel, 3 for ticagrelor and 7 for prasugrel,1 after a conversation with the cardiologist who placed the stent. The case happens in a hospital with a catheterization laboratory available around the clock, because the treatment of stent thrombosis is emergency PCI, not thrombolysis. I restart the P2Y12 inhibitor within 24–72 hours of surgery, with a loading dose, as soon as hemostasis allows.

Decision points and the "why"

  • Delay based on stent type and indication — endothelialization of a bare-metal stent is complete at about a month; a drug-eluting stent delays it, and the thrombosis risk falls steeply over the first 6 months.2 A stent placed for an acute coronary syndrome, or a complex stent (bifurcation, long or multivessel), carries higher risk, so elective surgery waits 12 months; time-sensitive surgery can be considered from 3 months after a drug-eluting stent.1 Within 30 days of any stent, elective surgery that interrupts antiplatelet therapy is harmful, and if surgery is unavoidable within 30 days of a bare-metal or 3 months of a drug-eluting stent I continue both drugs where possible.1
  • Aspirin continues — the guideline advises continuing it in every stented patient, whatever the stent type or age, when bleeding risk allows;1 it reduces stent thrombosis, and the bleeding penalty is minor in most surgeries. I stop it only for intracranial, posterior-eye, spinal canal or prostate surgery where the surgeon insists and the stent is old.
  • Bridging is not a solution — heparin does nothing for platelet-mediated stent thrombosis; cangrelor or a glycoprotein IIb/IIIa infusion is a bridge I use only with cardiology for the highest-risk stents when surgery truly cannot wait.
  • Neuraxial technique — aspirin alone is acceptable;3 I do not place a neuraxial block within 5–7 days of clopidogrel, 5–7 days of ticagrelor or 7–10 days of prasugrel, and if the P2Y12 inhibitor continues, I choose a general anesthetic.
  • Monitoring — five-lead ECG with ST-segment analysis on leads II and V5, an arterial line for high-risk surgery, and a hemoglobin target above 8 g/dL, because anemia converts a fixed stenosis into ischemia.
  • Cell salvage and tranexamic acid — I use them to offset the bleeding cost of continued aspirin where the surgery allows.

The complication they will inject

Two hours after an urgent laparotomy, the patient on continued aspirin alone develops ST elevation in leads II, III and aVF, hypotension and ventricular ectopy. I treat this as acute stent thrombosis. I call for help, give 100% oxygen, support the pressure with phenylephrine or norepinephrine so that coronary perfusion is maintained, treat ventricular arrhythmias with amiodarone and defibrillation as needed, and activate the catheterization laboratory immediately, because the only effective treatment is mechanical reopening of the stent. I tell the surgeon that systemic thrombolysis is not an option and that the bleeding risk of heparin and a glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor in the laboratory is accepted. The alternative inject: the surgeon demands I stop aspirin for a hernia repair. I explain that the thrombosis risk outweighs the bleeding risk and that I will not stop it without the cardiologist's agreement.

Pitfalls that cost points

  • Quoting the old "12 months for every drug-eluting stent" rule without knowing the current 6-month standard for stable disease, or forgetting that 12 months still applies after an acute coronary syndrome.
  • Stopping aspirin reflexively because "the patient is having surgery."
  • Offering heparin as a bridge for a stent.
  • Agreeing to a neuraxial block in a patient still taking clopidogrel.
  • Scheduling the stented patient at a surgery center with no catheterization laboratory.

Rapid-why

Q: Why is a drug-eluting stent slower to endothelialize? A: The antiproliferative drug that prevents restenosis also delays endothelial coverage of the struts, leaving metal exposed to platelets for months.

Q: Why does surgery itself raise thrombosis risk? A: Surgical stress increases platelet reactivity and catecholamines and lowers fibrinolysis; combined with withdrawal of antiplatelet therapy, a recognized cause of stent thrombosis,2 the stent is at its most vulnerable.

Q: Why does ticagrelor need a shorter stop than prasugrel? A: Ticagrelor binds reversibly, so platelet function recovers as the drug clears; prasugrel and clopidogrel bind irreversibly and recovery waits for new platelets.

Q: What if the patient is on aspirin and a P2Y12 inhibitor for a stent placed three weeks ago and needs an emergency appendectomy? A: I proceed on both drugs, accept the bleeding, use tranexamic acid, keep platelets available, and have the catheterization laboratory on notice.

Numbers to know

Item Value
Bare-metal stent, elective surgery ≥30 days1
Drug-eluting stent, elective surgery ≥6 months for stable disease; ≥12 months after ACS; ≥3 months if time-sensitive1
MI without revascularization ≥60 days1
Clopidogrel / ticagrelor / prasugrel hold 5 / 3 / 7 days before surgery1 (ASRA neuraxial: 5–7 / 5–7 / 7–10)
Restart P2Y12 inhibitor 24–72 h postoperatively, with loading dose
Aspirin before neuraxial block Continue; safe as monotherapy3

Sources

  1. 1.2024 ACC/AHA guideline on perioperative cardiovascular management before noncardiac surgery: What's new? · Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, 2025 · ccjm.orgCohn SL, CCJM 92(4), April 2025. Stent timing, DAPT and P2Y12 hold intervals from the 2024 AHA/ACC guideline; primary guideline text was not reachable from the fetcher.
  2. 2.Percutaneous Coronary Interventions (PCI) · Merck Manual Professional Edition · merckmanuals.com
  3. 3.Perioperative Management of Patients on Antiplatelet Medication (Elective Surgery) · NHS Lanarkshire, 2026 · rightdecisions.scot.nhs.ukLocal UK guideline; used only for aspirin monotherapy being acceptable with neuraxial techniques.

Facts on this page were checked against these sources on Oct 14, 2026. Guidelines change; confirm doses against current institutional protocols.

Found an error or a better way your examiners phrased this? Send feedback on this page.